What Causes Water Retention, Bloating and How to Avoid It
The retaining of water in the body tissues and the circulatory system can be attributed to many causes. This, in turn, might be the real reason behind the extra body weight.
If the water is retained, then, it will lead to swellings in the legs, ankles, feet, and other body areas, and it might be due to:
- Excessive intake of sodium
- Fluctuating hormones or menstrual changes
- Prolonged periods of standing or sitting
- Certain medications
- Flying on an airplane
This problem might be due to an early symptom of a more serious condition, like deep vein thrombosis, fibroids in women and pulmonary edema.
How to Treat Water Retention
- Eat high-fiber foods. You can eat vegetables and fruits, like legumes, seeds, and nuts. They will be able to help you relieve edema by absorbing water through the small and large intestines.
- Yogurt is full of proteins and nutrients, thus, it is a very potent water retention remedy.
- Lower the intake of sugar. This will help you in elevating the insulin levels.
- If you eat more fruits and vegetables, it will help you eliminate the excess water from the body and provide you with a lot of nutrients.
- Consume foods that are rich in magnesium and potassium, these will help you treat the edema. Some of those are bananas, sweet potatoes, avocados, tomatoes, and green leafy vegetables.
- Lower the sodium intake. You should do this because the high amounts of it can cause bloating and water retention as the water molecules are attracted to it.
- Drink more water. Sometimes water retention can happen due to dehydration of the body.
- Cardio exercises will help to elevate the heart rate and speed up the metabolism. These will help in treating and preventing water retention.
- Take some natural diuretics, like cranberry juice, dandelion and horsetail leaf tea. They will help to remove the accumulate water in the body.
- Avoid consuming alcohol and caffeinated drinks due to the fact that they dehydrate the body and force it to retain water.
- Vitamin B-6 supplements can also help in relieving the water retention symptoms. Due to the fact that it has powerful diuretic properties, they will be able to regulate the progesterone and estrogen levels in the body.
That is all! Good luck!